Compact Modular Cycloidal Motor with Embedded Shape Memory Alloy Wires
- Compact Modular Cycloidal Motor with Embedded Shape Memory Alloy Wires
- 김기훈; 황동현; 인용석
- Cycloidal motor; Rotary actuator; Smart actuator; Shape memory alloy; Transmission; 부서평가 반영완료 (2017-10)
- Issue Date
- IEEE transactions on industrial electronics
- VOL 65, NO 5-4038
- Abstract— In this study, we develop a rotary motor using embedded shape memory alloy (SMA) wires, with the aim of realizing a novel compact and modular motor that can generate high-torque bidirectional continuous rotation. Thus, we focus on designing the motion transmission mechanism and torque amplifier of the motor. The designed motion transmission mechanism that functions to convert the contraction/expansion of the SMA wires to rotational motion enables the motor to generate continuous rotation with relatively short-length SMA wires. Additionally, a double-disc cycloidal speed reducer designed as the torque amplifier allows the motor to reliably generate high torque with a compact structure due to its simple configuration, size variability, and torque amplification functionality. One of the advantages of the motor is that an actuating module could be additionally incorporated into the motor to achieve higher torque. In this case, the overall size and weight of the motor are marginally increased although the output torque capacity almost doubles. Hence, the energy density of the motor significantly increases. The study describes the main concept, operating principle, design, and experimental results of the output torque capacity, positioning characteristics, and frequency response of the proposed motor.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.