Size distribution analysis of airborne wear particles released by subway brake system
- Size distribution analysis of airborne wear particles released by subway brake system
- 배귀남; 김종범; 우상희; 남궁형규; 김민수; 김민해; 박세찬; 박덕신; 권순박
- brake wear particles; nanoparticles; particle sizing instrument; particle size distribution; breaking energy
- Issue Date
- VOL 372-373-176
- Contributions of exhaust and non-exhaust sources to traffic-related particulate matter (PM) pollution in the atmosphere are almost identical and the most important non-exhaust source is known to be brake wear particles. In order to understand the properties and harmful effects of wear particles on people, accurate information on size distribution of brake wear particles is needed. Our previous study investigated the measured changes in size distribution of nanoparticles of 500 nm or smaller to understand the origin of nanoparticles due to temperature increases on the friction surface. The present study was intended to investigate the characteristics of size distribution (5.6 nm– 32 μm) of PM released under different braking conditions by using different instruments. The measurement results under 9 braking conditions using 3 different instruments showed that the size distribution characteristics of particles can be divided into two main types according to braking energy. The first type is of PM up to 10 μm in size and with a peak number concentration at 0.2– 0.75 μm regardless of braking energy, while the second type is of PM around 10 nm in size generated only when braking energy increased and particles that increased up to 100 nm. In addition, we found that the size distributions measured by the optical particle counter (OPC) and the aerodynamic particle sizer (APS) were consistent by assuming a mean diameter ratio of two instruments.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.