Synthesis of high molecular weight polybenzimidazole using a highly pure monomer under mild conditions
- Synthesis of high molecular weight polybenzimidazole using a highly pure monomer under mild conditions
- 김형준; 장종현; 헨켄스마이어디억; 유성종; 김진영; 이소영; 김은기; 남상용; 이종찬
- polybenzimidazole; fuel cell
- Issue Date
- Polymer international
- VOL 66, NO 12-1818
- An isophthalaldehyde bisulfite adduct (IBA) was synthesized using a reaction between sodium sulfite and isophthalaldehyde. Isophthalaldehyde monosulfite adduct (IMA) was inevitably synthesized during the reaction. Because IBA and IMA have similar solubility in water, it is difficult to separate them through a recrystallization process. In order to obtain pure IBA, an excess of sodium sulfite was used. Highly pure IBA was subsequently obtained without the need for recrystallization. The IBA was then used as the starting monomer for the synthesis of poly[2,2-(m-phenylene)-5,5-bisbenzimidazole] (PBI). Previous isolation methods for IBA hindered the synthesis of high molecular weight PBI. This new synthetic procedure produces high-purity IBA, which can be used to synthesize high molecular weight PBI.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.