Laser-irradiated inclined metal nanocolumns for selective, scalable, and room-temperature synthesis of plasmonic isotropic nanospheres
- Laser-irradiated inclined metal nanocolumns for selective, scalable, and room-temperature synthesis of plasmonic isotropic nanospheres
- 김진상; 최지원; 강종윤; 백승협; 김성근; 김상태; 노명섭; 백승혁; 한수덕; 채송화; 안동준; 최덕현
- Issue Date
- Journal of materials chemistry. C, Materials for optical and electronic devices
- VOL 6, NO 22-6045
- Plasmonic nanocrystals, which exhibit extraordinary optical properties, are challenging to grow in selective positions with a cost-effective and high-throughput process. We demonstrate that plasmonic isotropic gold nanospheres (AuNSs) can be selectively synthesized on wafer-scale rigid and flexible substrates at room temperature by laser irradiation. First, we prepare gold nanocolumn (AuNC) thin films on sapphire and polydimethylsiloxane substrates with glancing angle deposition (GAD). Then, a KrF excimer laser is exposed at selected positions with a 24 ns pulse duration. Finally, highly isotropic AuNSs as plasmonic nanocrystals are synthesized at the targeted positions. We suggest that the formation of such isotropic AuNSs is caused by reshaping from the top of the AuNCs; this is verified by the temperature distribution in the AuNCs during laser irradiation through finite element method simulations. We further investigate the formation of AuNSs by varying the laser energy density and the kind of substrate. By using a simple mask process, we demonstrate patterning of the letters "KIST" via selectively grown AuNSs on a flexible substrate. The simple laser irradiation process on GAD-grown metal NC thin films is expected to be a promising method for scalable synthesis of plasmonic isotropic NSs at targeted positions with a rapid process and at room temperature.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.