Links Between peptide and Mn oxide: Nano-sized manganese oxide embedded in a peptide matrix
- Links Between peptide and Mn oxide: Nano-sized manganese oxide embedded in a peptide matrix
- 채근화; 씽 지텐드라; Mohammad Mahdi Najafpour; Sepideh Madadkhani; Somayyeh Akbarian; Zahra Zand; Malgorzata Holynska; Mohsen Kompany-Zareh; Tomo Tatsuya; Suleyman I. Allakhverdiev
- nano-sized manganese oxide; nanocomposite; water-oxidizing catalyst; X-ray absorption
- Issue Date
- New Journal of Chemistry; Nouveau journal de chimie
- VOL 42, NO 12-10077
- Herein we report on a poly-peptide/Mn oxide nanocomposite as a model for the water-oxidizing catalyst in Photosystem II. The material is obtained by the reaction of poly-L-tyrosine, Mn(OAc)2·4H2O and KMnO4. HRTEM images of the nanocomposite indicate the presence of nanoparticles dispersed in a poly-L-tyrosine matrix with no crystalline phases. A broad peak at ∼400– 550 nm in the UV-visible spectrum is related to Mn oxide formation. X-ray absorption studies suggest that the Mn atoms are in the oxidation state of +IV and a coordination number of around three was obtained for Mn in the structure. The water-oxidizing activity of the material under electrochemical conditions was also investigated. Electrochemical experiments proved the presence of Mn(IV) oxide. Determination of oxygen coupled to electrochemistry revealed the role of poly-L-tyrosine in decreasing the overpotential for water oxidation. In the next step, the interaction of the nanocomposite and imidazole as a model for the tyrosine 161 and histidine 190 residues in Photosystem II was studied with fluorescence spectroscopy using the multivariate curve resolution-alternating least squares method.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.