A new type of heat storage system using the motion of phase change materials in an elliptical-shaped capsule
- A new type of heat storage system using the motion of phase change materials in an elliptical-shaped capsule
- 신유환; 강상우; 신동호; 박진수; 최성호; 고한서
- Latent heat thermal storage; Phase Change Material; Elliptical capsule; Particle image velocimetry; Laser induced fluorescence
- Issue Date
- Energy conversion and management
- VOL 182-519
- A latent heat thermal energy storage (LHTES) system is an efficient thermal battery using a phase change material (PCM) for key applications of intermittent renewable energy. In this study, a flexible elliptical-shaped capsule is investigated and subsequently proposed as a container of the PCM used for LHTES. The novel elliptical PCM capsule is made of polyethylene and designed to achieve maximum enhancement of heat transfer. The thermal flow inside the capsule is analyzed via the combined methods of particle image velocimetry and laser induced fluorescence. In the present study, the upward and downward motion of a solid PCM lump in an elliptical capsule are reported for the first time. This is shown to increase the heat transfer rate by more than twice that of a spherical capsule. A prototype heat storage tank with 1000  L of water and 500  kg of the PCM is fabricated for application as a large-scale thermal battery. Consequently, the developed PCM capsule exhibits a decrease of 50% and 35% in the charging and discharging process time, respectively.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.