A Tele-operated Microsurgical Forceps-Driver with a Variable Stiffness Haptic Feedback Master Device
- A Tele-operated Microsurgical Forceps-Driver with a Variable Stiffness Haptic Feedback Master Device
- 오상록; 양성욱; 황동현; 임세혁; 인용석; 정진우; 장남선; 박성우; 김기훈
- Medical robots and systems; haptics and haptic interfaces; teleoperation; variable stiffness device
- Issue Date
- IEEE robotics and automation letters
- VOL 5, NO 2-1953
- We develop a surgical forceps-driver and a haptic feedback master device that could be applied to a tele-operated microsurgical robotic system for peripheral nerve surgery. Considering
that the neurological damage could occur to the peripheral nerve when an excessive force is applied to the nerve tissue, we aim to implement the forceps-driver with precision gripping-force control and themaster device capable of providing haptic feedback. For this aim, a high-precision tiny force sensor is fabricated and embedded into the forceps-driver for gripping-force measurement. And, we develop a novelmaster device handled by surgeon’s thumb and forefinger. As a kind of a variable stiffnessmodule, it functions to generate the forceps-drive operation command according to a surgeon’s pinching motion and to display haptic feedback by
varying the stiffness based on the gripping-force measured fromthe slave device. Thus, the surgeon can tele-operate the forceps-driver intuitively as well as feel the gripped-object by proprioceptive haptic feedback. In the performance evaluation experiments for the master-slave system, the gripping-force measurement capacity of the forceps-driver and the stiffness variation range of the master device are investigated as about 4 N with a resolution of 0.03 N and
about 3.6 N/mm with a resolution of 0.025 N/mm, respectively.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.