Improved electrochemical performance and durability of butaneoperating lowtemperature solid oxide fuel cell through palladium infiltration
- Improved electrochemical performance and durability of butaneoperating lowtemperature solid oxide fuel cell through palladium infiltration
- 이종호; 김형철; 손지원; 지호일; 윤경중; 양성은; 박상백; 안 캠 티유
- direct internal steam reforming of butane; low-temperature SOFCs; Pd-infiltrated Ni-YSZ anode; Pd-Ni alloy
- Issue Date
- International journal of energy research
- VOL 44, NO 13-10007
- Low-operating-temperature solid oxide fuel cells (LT-SOFCs) with various kinds of fuel, such as hydrocarbons, biogas, natural gas, and oxygenated fuel has been an active SOFC research topic. However, conventional SOFC anodes comprised of nickel metal and yttria-stabilized zirconia composite (Ni-YSZ) experience rapid degradation when operated for the butane direct internal steam reforming (B-DISR), especially at a low temperature (LT) range. This study reveals that the impregnated Pd into the Ni-YSZ anode support of thin-film SOFCs (TF-SOFCs) is effective for achieving better performance and stability regarding the TF-SOFC in B-DISR at 600C. Adding Pd as a dopant into Ni-YSZ significantly promotes the catalytic activity due to the Pd-Ni alloy formation, both on the YSZ grain and the Ni grain surface. The electrochemical performance of cells without Pd (Ni-YSZ cell) and a Pd-infiltrated Ni-YSZ anode (Pd-Ni-YSZ cell) are compared at 600C for the B-DISR mode at a ratio of steam-to-carbon of 3. Finally, longterm durability tests were performed at 600C and under 0.15 A cm− 2
. The Pd infiltration decreases the deterioration rate to 0.63 mV h− 1 after the first 80 hours of operation for the Pd-Ni-YSZ cell, which was a significant improvement from that of the Ni-YSZ cell, 3.75 mV h− 1 after 40 hours of operation.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.