Excitation and temperature dependence of the broad gain spectrum in GaAs/AlGaAs quantum rings
- Excitation and temperature dependence of the broad gain spectrum in GaAs/AlGaAs quantum rings
- 송진동; Juyeong Jang; Seunghwan Lee; Minju Kim; Sunwoo Woo,; Inhong Kim; Jihoon Kyhm; Robert A. Taylor; Kwangseuk Kyhm
- GaAs; droplet; quantum dots
- Issue Date
- Applied physics letters
- VOL 117, 213101
- We have employed a variable stripe length method in order to measure the optical gain of GaAs/AlGaAs quantum rings. Although the large lateral diameter of quantum rings (50 nm) with a few nm size distribution is expected to cause a small spectral inhomogeneity (1%), a broad gain width (300 meV) was observed. This result was attributed to a variation of the vertical heights and variations in localized states that exhibit crescent shaped wavefunctions, whereby the energy levels are distributed over a broad spectral range. When the excitation intensity is decreased, irregular peaks appear in the gain spectrum gradually. Similar phenomena were also observed as the temperature increased. We conclude that excited carriers in quantum rings are distributed stochastically at various localized states and that the population inversion is sensitive to both excitation intensity and temperature.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.