Genomic characterization of extensively drug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii strain, KAB03 belonging to ST451 from Korea
- Genomic characterization of extensively drug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii strain, KAB03 belonging to ST451 from Korea
- 송현석; 이상엽; 오만환; 윤성호; 최치원; 박창균; 이하영; 이윤선; 신주현; 정차욱; 문재영; 이재철; 김건화; 김승일
- Acinetobacter baumannii of ST451; Comparative genomics; LC-MS based proteomics; SNP; Antibiotic resistance genes
- Issue Date
- Infection, Genetics & Evolution
- VOL 65-158
- Extensively drug-resistant (XDR) Acinetobacter baumannii strains have emerged rapidly worldwide. The antibiotic resistance characteristics of XDR A. baumannii strains show regional differences; therefore, it is necessary to analyze both genomic and proteomic characteristics of emerging XDR A. baumannii clinical strains isolated in Korea to elucidate their multidrug resistance. Here, we isolated new sequence type of XDR A. baumannii clinical strain (KAB03) from Korean hospitals and performed comprehensive genome analyses. The strain belongs to new sequence type, ST451. Single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) analysis with other types of A. baumannii strains revealed that KAB03 has unique SNP pattern in the regions of gyrB and gpi of MLST profiles. A. baumannii KAB03 harbours three antibiotic resistance islands (AbGRI1, 2, and 3). AbGRI1 harbours two copies of Tn2006 containing blaOXA-23, which play an important role in antibiotic resistance. AbGRI2 possesses aminoglycoside resistant gene aph(3')-Ic and class A β-lactamase blaTEM. AbGIR3 has macrolide resistant genes and aminoglycoside resistant gene armA. A. baumannii KAB03 harbours mutations in pmrB and pmrC, which are believed to confer colistin resistance. In addition, proteomic and transcriptional analysis of KAB03 confirmed that β-lactamases (ADC-73 and OXA-23), Ade efflux pumps (AdeIJK), outer membrane proteins (OmpA and OmpW), and colistin resistance genes (PmrCAB) were major proteins responsible for antibiotic resistance. Our proteogenomic results provide valuable information for multi-drug resistance in emerging XDR A. baumannii strains belonging to ST451.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.